Insomnia is one of the side effects that can occur when using Phentermine weight loss pills. Generally, insomnia or sleep disorder occurs in the first weeks of Phentermine use and eventually disappears on its own.
Insomnia is a pathological state, which arises because Phentermine has a potent anorexigenic effect on the brain. After Phentermine intake, these weight loss pills dissolve in the stomach and release active ingredient that is absorbed in the blood plasma.
When Phentermine enters the CNS, it stimulates the brain and helps to increase serotonin level. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that is involved in the signals transmitting between the brain cells.
High level of serotonin significantly reduces the obese patient’s appetite, promotes the narrowing of vessel walls and increases blood pressure. Hypertension and increased excitability are some of the main causes of insomnia.
In addition, heart rhythm and the brain activity can be increased while using Phentermine weight loss pills. Under such conditions, some obese patients find it difficult to relax and to fall asleep.
Therefore, all obese patients should use Phentermine weight loss pills in the morning. This simple measure greatly reduces the risk of insomnia and allows patients to reduce the feeling of hunger throughout the day.
If a patient taking Phentermine follows all the doctor’s recommendations, but sleep disorder is still observed, he can be recommended to reduce Phentermine dosage. Low doses of Phentermine are able rapidly metabolized in the liver and excreted from the body.
To reduce the risk of insomnia during the use of Phentermine weight loss pills, it is recommended:
- Not to consume alcohol before bedtime. Despite the fact that small amount of alcohol has a sedative effect, promote a rapid falling asleep, it adversely affects deep sleep phase.
- To abandon a large amount of food before bedtime. The large amount of food stimulates the circulatory and gastrointestinal systems of the body.
- Moreover, the large amount of food before bedtime is not recommended during Phentermine use.
- To give up smoking. Nicotine contained in tobacco smoke has a stimulating effect on the brain, promotes the release of adrenaline and increases arterial pressure.
- To increase physical activity. Physical activity takes a lot of forces, accelerates metabolism and contributes to the rapid falling asleep. It is not good doing exercises right before bedtime.
- Not to consume products and beverages containing caffeine. Caffeine is an alkaloid, which enhances the excitation processes in the cerebral cortex.
- Especially, avoid drinking coffee in the afternoon.
In addition, there is always the possibility to use prescription and over-the-counter sleeping pills. However, it is very important that sleeping pills do not interact with Phentermine. Therefore, before using sleeping pills or other drugs, consult a doctor.