It is necessary to observe two compulsory conditions for rapid weight loss. The first condition is an observance of restricted diet and the second one is an increase of physical activity.
Low-calorie diet and physical activity really help to reduce body weight. However, not all people suffering from obesity are manage to keep to a strict diet. It should be taken into account that intensive physical loads are contraindicated in some obese patients.
To help a person to adhere the diet plan and to improve the efficiency of anti-obesity therapy, he can be prescribed drugs having the property to suppress appetite. The FDA approved several drugs, possessing anorectic activity, the most popular of which were Phentermine and Phendimetrazine.
Both drugs are sympathomimetic amines, prescribed for a short-term treatment of obesity. Despite the fact that Phendimetrazine and Phentermine are included in one pharmacological group (sympathomimetic amines), there are several principal differences between them.
- Firstly, in the USA Phentermine can be prescribed for obesity treatment in adolescents from 16 years (inclusive), but Phendimetrazine is contraindicated in adolescents under 17 years.
- Secondly, Phendimetrazine use is often accompanied by urinary frequency but when using Phentermine, the risk of urination disorder is almost absent.
- Thirdly, Phentermine has a longer half-life. Phentermine concentration in the body reaches a peak 4 hours after the use. But Phendimetrazine concentration in the body decreases by 50% approximately 4 hours after the use.
- Accordingly, anorectic activity of Phentermine drug is significantly higher than anorectic activity of Phendimetrazine drug. So, this predetermines the choice of Phentermine for a short-term obesity treatment in adolescents from 16 years and adults.
- Do not use Phendimetrazine and Phentermine drugs simultaneously or in combination with other drugs for obesity treatment.
In case when sympathomimetic amines Phentermine and Phendimetrazine are contraindicated or severe side effects occur after their use, your doctor may prescribe other drugs for obesity treatment. There are alternative anti-obesity drugs that impede fat absorption in GIT (for example, Orlistat) or herbal medicines with weak anorectic effect (for example, Phen375).
- In the USA, Phentermine is sold under the trade names Adipex-P, Suprenza, as well as generic name Phentermine Hydrochloride. In the USA, Phentermine is included in schedule IV of controlled substance.
- In the USA, Phendimetrazine is sold under original trade name Bontril and generic name Phendimetrazine Tartrate. In the USA Phendimetrazine is also included in schedule IV of controlled substance.
- It has to be noted that Phentermine slimming tablets are not sold in the UK. Therefore, obese British people have to use other prescription or over-the-counter weight loss products.