In April 1999, the FDA approved Orlistat use for weight loss under Xenical brand name. Originally, Orlistat manufactured by Hoffmann-La Roche Company was available only by prescription.
By the way, Orlistat in Canada is still sold only by prescription. Xenical drug comes in capsules, containing 120mg of Orlistat active substance. Xenical is used for obesity treatment in adults and children over 12 years.
In 2007, the FDA approved over-the-counter use of Orlistat under Alli brand name.
Thus Orlistat, produced by GlaxoSmithKline under Alli brand name, became the first over-the-counter weight loss drug officially authorized by the FDA. Alli capsules contain 60mg of Orlistat active ingredient. Alli use is allowed in adolescence over 18 years old.
Currently, the Orlistat weight loss drug under Xenical trade name, in addition to Hoffmann-La Roche, is produced by such pharmaceutical companies, as:
- DiethelmKellerSiberHegner (DKSH)
- Firma Chun Cheong
- Genentech, Inc.
- Zuellig Pharma.
Hoffmann-La Roche and HLR Company also produce Orlistat under the Xenical Dark Blue brand name.
Orlistat under the Alli brand name is available in pharmacies by the following manufacturers:
- Agencia Lei Va Hong Limitada
- Cheng Heng Hong
- IDS Group Pharmaceutical.
Orlistat generics are also available at the global pharmaceutical market:
- Cobese (Ranbaxy Laboratories Limited)
- Cuvarlix (Pharmaniaga Berhad)
- Lesofat (Innogen Pharma Group Incorporated)
- Liberat (Laboratorios Chile SA)
- Lindeza (Laboratorios PISA SA)
- Lipocut (Biocon Limited)
- Lipophage (Franco Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd)
- Obelit (Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited)
- Obestal (Stallion Laboratories Pvt.Ltd.; Suhitas Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Obitrol (Micro Labs Limited)
- Olisat (Biocon Limited)
- Orlica (Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited)
- Orlimac (Macleods Pharmaceuticals Limited)
- Orlistat Orlitroy (Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Limited)
- Orsoten (KRKA Pharmaceutical Laboratory)
- Redustat (Laboratorios Liomont, SA De CV)
- Reeshape (Meyer Organics PVT. LTD)
- Symfona (Laboratorios Andromaco SAICI)
- Troyslim (Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Limited)
- Vasdecom (Laboratorios Raam de Sahuayo)
- Ventu (Landsteiner Scientific)
- Viplena (Laboratorios Recalcine SA)
- Vyfat (Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited)
- Zerofat (Mankind Pharma Limited).
If you want to buy Orlistat generic, but do not know the trademark under which it is sold in local pharmacies, you can get this information from your doctor or a pharmacist.
In many countries, you can buy Orlistat generics with no RX on online pharmacy.