Nuvigil belongs to new generation psychostimulant drugs. Nuvigil drug consists of active substance Armodafinil and some pharmacologically inactive excipients, like:
- microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, povidone, magnesium stearate and pregelatinized starch.
Nuvigil drug is produced in tablets, dosed 50 mg, 150 mg and 250 mg.
Mechanism of pharmacological action of Nuvigil is aimed at strengthening of general perception, improved memory, activation of reaction and cognitive abilities of the human body. Unlike amphetamines, Nuvigil has more pronounced psychostimulant action, allows human body to stay in tone and be awake for long time.
Pharmacological effect of Nuvigil is directed to:
- Recovery of cognitive brain functions
- Improvement of memory
- Improvement of intellect
- Stabilization of the sleep-wake cycle
- Struggle with fatigue symptoms.
Nuvigil drug stimulates the human brain to intense activity, reduces the need for sleep and allows to stay awake for long time.
In patients with sleeping disease, obstructive sleep apnea and (or) idiopathic morbid drowsiness, Nuvigil does not cause addiction, reduced feeling of responsibility and (or) overexcitation.
Nuvigil has high bioavailability. The drug is quickly absorbed when used orally. That’s why, maximum concentration of the active substance Armodafinil is reached in 100-120 minutes in the blood plasma. Nuvigil binds with plasma proteins (mostly with albumin) by 60%.
- Food intake does not affect general bioavailability of Nuvigil.
The absorption of the active substance Armodafinil is delayed by an average of 40-60 minutes if Nuvigil is used with food. Herewith Nuvigil is metabolized in the liver and excreted in form of metabolites.
Pharmacokinetics of Armodafinil does not depend on gender and age of a patient.
Indications for use of Nuvigil
Nuvigil drug is indicated for treatment of:
- Obstructive sleep apnea;
- Narcolepsy (sleeping disease);
- Idiopathic morbid drowsiness;
- Violated sleep-wake regime, caused by day-night work shifts.
Nuvigil in pregnancy and breastfeeding
Nuvigil belongs to category C by safety use. Because of limited experience of Nuvigil usage in pregnancy, patient should consult a physician before taking the drug.
Be careful using Nuvigil during breastfeeding, since there is no objective data on drug excretion with breast milk. Thus, Nuvigil drug should only be used when a child is transferred to bottle-feeding.
Nuvigil use in children
Safety and efficiency use of Nuvigil in treatment of narcolepsy in children were not completely established. In some cases, patients under 17 years old, suffered from severe skin rash, including erythema and Stevens Johnson syndrome.
In pediatrics, Nuvigil is used for the treatment of:
- Sleeping disease
- Tourette syndrome
- Obstructive sleep apnea.
In patients with sleeping disease and obstructive sleep apnea, Nuvigil helps to:
- Improve clarity thinking and wit
- Reduce need for sleep
- Stabilize psychoemotional state (no overexcitation and overstrain)
- Stay awake during prolonged time
- Improve short-term memory
- Improve cognitive functions
- Improve the ability to perceive and process information.
Recommended dosage of Nuvigil
- Nuvigil 150 mg is the initial recommended daily dosage to treat narcolepsy and obstructive sleep apnea;
- Nuvigil 250 mg is maximum daily dosage for the treatment of narcolepsy and (or) obstructive sleep apnea;
- Nuvigil 250 mg dose is well tolerated by patients with narcolepsy or obstructive sleep apnea, causing no side effects;
- Nuvigil 150 mg is the recommended daily dose of Nuvigil for the treatment of sleep disorders, caused by change of shift work;
- Patients with sleep disorders associated with changed shift work, should take Nuvigil pill 1 hour prior working activity;
- The drug dose must be adjusted in case patient has to take Nuvigil with steroid contraceptives, cyclosporin and triazolam;
- The recommended daily dosage of Nuvigil should be taken by mouth, 1 hour after meals;
- Nuvigil dose higher than 250 mg can cause overdose with severe side effects.
Nuvigil side effects
In most clinical cases, the following Nuvigil side effects occur:
- nervousness, paresthesia, insomnia, dizziness, restlessness, hyperkinesia, tremor of the limbs, emotional lability, diarrhea, dyspepsia, nausea, dry mouth, constipation, flatulence, hypertension, tachycardia, palpitation, vascular spasms, rhinitis, pharyngitis, nasal bleeding, bronchial asthma.
Once you were prescribed Nuvigil pills, you can buy them in any drugstore. But sometimes it is difficult to find the necessary drug if you have no prescription or the old one is not valid anymore. In this case, online pharmacy can help.
If you want to buy Nuvigil online, you need to visit our online pharmacy. Our online pharmacy provides with safest and cheapest medications online.
All you have to do is to choose the drug, quantity of pills, payment and delivery type. You can also use a free online consultation provided by qualified pharmacist.
And if you order a large pack of Nuvigil tablets or make multiple orders on our online pharmacy, you will get a discount as well.