Nefiracetam is a nootropic drug that belongs to the class of racetams and contributes to a significant improvement in memory and cognitive function.
What is Nefiracetam
In the US, Nefiracetam is attributed to food additives, which are available without a prescription, while as in Japan this cognitive enhancer is a prescription drug.
Nefiracetam structure is similar to the structure of Piracetam (the first representative of racetam class), but at the same time, it has some properties of Aniracetam (fat-soluble substance from the class of nootropic racetams).
Mechanism of action of Nefiracetam
The action mechanism of the cognitive enhancer Nefiracetam is based on its ability to bind to the brain receptor GABA-A and influence the activity of other receptors (e.g., NMDA), which play an important role in almost all cognitive processes.
The action of Nefiracetam may be characterized as the non-specific modulating effect, which is possible due to the multi-directional combined effect on calcium channels.
It is believed that, compared to Piracetam, Nefiracetam has a more powerful effect over the brain activity, increasing the level of an essential neurotransmitter, acetylcholine.
Indications for Nefiracetam use
The scope of clinical Nefiracetam applications is wide:
- it is demonstrated that this cogntive enhancer is effective in the treatment of cognitive disorders, and namely promotes memory formation
- improves cognitive processes in elderly people, as well as exhibits the anti-amnesia effect in patients with Alzheimer’s and Dementia (requires further study)
- increases the levels of glutamate and gamma aminobutyric acid in the brain, which are necessary for many mental activity processes
- is effective in the treatment of apathy and motivation problems in patients with various forms of cerebral blood circulation.
Other effects of Nefiracetam
It is believed that Nefiracetam improves the neural cells metabolism and exerts a neuroprotective effect.
Studies have shown that Nefiracetam improves the memory functioning by increasing the exposure of acetylcholine and glutamate in the synapse, prolonging the action of calcium in the activated neuron.
Nefiracetam dosages and dosing schedule
To effectively improve the cognitive brain functions, daily application of Nefiracetam is required.
The recommended Nefiracetam dose ranges from 150 to 450 mg per day (divided into three or two intakes).
The highest daily dose of Nefiracetam (500 to 1000 mg) is recommended for patients, whose weight exceeds 80kg.
Nefiracetam is usually produced in the form of:
- 400 and 600 mg oral capsules and tablets
- 10g/10.000mg powder.
Since Nefiracetam is a fat-soluble drug the racetams type, this cognitive enhancer is recommended to be taken with fatty foods or with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
Most Nefiracetam reviews show that at least a week-long systematic application is required to achieve the full benefit of this nootropic.
The maximum effect of Nefiracetam develops with the continued systematic use.
Trials have shown that the use of Nefiracetam efficiently
- increases attention spans and focus
- contributes to the normalization of cognitive function and memory
- improves overall health and mental performance.